Pages

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Gluten Free Favorites

I have been eating gluten free for over a year now.  I've learned a lot along the way.  I decided to put together a list of my favorite things.  Some of these tend towards the more "processed" foods. We try to do whole foods and naturally GF stuff more than the replacements. Every once in a while though, a girl needs to eat a cookie, or just open a can of soup for a quick meal.

Disclaimer- I have not been paid by any of these companies, it is all stuff I have actually eaten and liked.



Udi's Gluten Free Snickerdoodles - These are quite possibly the best cookies that I have ever eaten in my life, with or without flour.  They are thick and chewy and just all around wonderful.

Herb Ox Bouillon Cubes and Packets - So many soups and gravy mixes contain flour. These babies are great to start a gravy.  I use them with Minute Rice as a quick side dish that isn't "just rice". The packets are great to make dip with.

Boar's Head Cold Cuts - If you go to their page they say "We were gluten free long before you thought to ask."  I love that.

GF Bisquick - This stuff is magical.  I have used it to make pancakes and to bread fish.  I also mixed cornmeal with it to make a great corn bread.  This is another pantry staple.

Perdue Chicken Tenders - These are a great convenience food.  It is rare to find "breaded" foods that are safe to eat.  These are in regular rotation around here for busy evenings.

Ore Ida Potato Crowns - These are naturally GF, and another great thing to just throw in the oven quickly for dinners on nights where we run from dance to scouts to Little League.

Schar White Bread - So far this is the best national brand bread that I have tried. There are a couple of local bakeries around that do more artisanal bread and rolls, but this one is good toasted, and makes a nice grilled cheese.

Robert's Pirate Booty - We ate this all the time, even before making the change to be GF.  It is a great low calorie snack, and perfect to sate carby cravings.

Cape Cod Potato Chips - Potato chips should be GF, but depending on the flavorings, you have to be careful.  All of Cape Cod's are, and they are not cooked in peanut oil, as Utz's are.

Amy's Lentil Soup - This is a terrific, nutritionally dense soup, and great for an easy lunch. Also, it is quite portable, so I tend to keep a can on hand to bring places where there may not be food for me.

Amy's Frozen Dinners - My husband's favorite is the tortilla bowl, and he can appreciate the tamales, even if they aren't his mother's. I myself love the cheese enchiladas and the Mac n cheese. I wouldn't recommend the Cheez version however, unless you have really bad dairy issues or tend towards the vegan.  GF, Dairy free Mac n' cheese is pushing the boundaries a bit.

Progresso Clam Chowder - A great soup that is naturally GF, and is found in the regular old aisles of the grocery store.

Progresso French Onion - I usually use this soup as a base in recipes.  I used to use Lipton's dry soup in a lot of things, and this is an acceptable GF substitution.

Annie's Gluten Free Mac n' Cheese - I love that there is a boxed version that we can still eat.

Sam Mills Pastas - GF pastas generally have come a long way.  Major brands are offering their own, but I still like this one, as it comes in 16 oz. packages for just slightly more than regular pasta costs (other brands reduce the package size, and so I have to make 2 boxes for the family).  It is corn based, and perhaps less healthy than some of the brown rice versions, but it is the closest to regular pasta that you can get.

Pillsbury Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough - I was very excited when I heard about this product. There is just nothing quite like a warm chocolate chip cookie.  Of course I can make my own, but I love the option of making these quickly on cold winter days to warm up the house.  It's also a good thing to keep on hand to bring to a party, so you will have something sweet to eat.

Plated - This is a more of a service and not a product. They put together all the ingredients for a meal for you, and mail it right to your door. Their recipes are based on whole foods, and well over half are naturally GF. The recipes tend towards gourmet,  but are simple enough that even my husband (a non-cook) can make them.  If you want to give them a try, click here for a good deal.

What are your favorites?  What should I add to my list?

No comments:

Post a Comment