Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

Emily Rose: A Pregnancy Story, Part 2: Christmas Miracle

Christmas Miracle
Dear Emily Rose,
You gave me a two week grace period before “morning sickness” really kicked in. I should have made the most out of those early weeks while they lasted. Pregnancy, week 7, started the Monday before Christmas. Presents were still unwrapped, house cleaning had not yet begun, and on top of that, there were sixteen people coming to our house for dinner on Christmas Eve. 
The 23rd of December arrived with bells on. Most other mommies out there were probably putting on their red and green war paint and chugging strong coffee, whereas I had trouble motivating myself to get off the couch. And I remember thinking, “I don’t think I can do this...”
Your father’s Christmas pep talk finally got me on my feet. Like a good little soldier, I schlepped to the kitchen, downed a teaspoon of sugar (my fastest and most effective home remedy for nausea), and started rolling meatballs. By ten o’clock, I closed down the kitchen for the night. I knew going to bed meant that I’d have to do all of the gift wrapping the following night after a long evening of entertaining. But I went to bed anyway and had no regrets.
At three in the morning, I woke up hungry. I had about two minutes to do one of three things: go back to sleep, get something to eat, or face dire consequences. I chose option two because if option one didn’t pan out then option three would be unavoidable. I ended up munching on saltines while wrapping those daunting presents. I stumbled back to bed around dawn and slept more soundly knowing my nausea and insomnia proved themselves useful for once–Santa’s to-do list had a big fat checkmark next to “wrapping.”  
Christmas Eve was a blur of activity. Everyone in the family pitched in to help ready the house for the big event. Even you, Emily Rose, were with us in spirit and did not seem to detract from my wellbeing too much that day and for that I thank you. Somehow we managed to pull off a decent Italian meal in a charmingly tidy house. I call that a CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!  
Love,

Mom 

1 comment: